Thursday 17 March 2011

Retrieving Data From Website


So before anyone checks, this isn't for a homework assignment/project/etc, this is a program I'm creating for my own amusement, and as I've sat thinking and writing, I've found that I have no idea how to get the data I need in the first place. That's what this post is about, getting the data from a specific website, not about how to manipulate/analyze the data.

Now to put some context to the problem. I'm making a program in Java that will decode and analyze METAR reports. This is an aviation report that is done by automated systems at airports for pilots and meteorologist to use. The report is pretty short, an example below:

KAMW 251653Z AUTO 34012KT 10SM CLR M07/M14 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP255 T10721139

In order to get that data, I follow this series of steps:

    * Go to this website: http://aviationweath...ov/adds/metars/
    * Enter in an ICAO code
    * Mark the METARs box
    * Pick the number of reports
    * Submit the form and get redirected to a webpage with the data I requested


I can't link the resultant page because it isn't a unique URL, but if you wish to see it for a better understanding, go to the link above and enter in KAMW in the text box,
select METARs, and select "past 3 hours" to get multiple reports.

I've never done any programming related to networking or the internet so this is completely new to me, but I would like to learn. Can anyone lend a bit of advice or
point me towards a site with information on how to do this? If the problem isn't clear or you have questions, ask away, I tried to keep the context to only the relevant information but I might have forgotten something.

By
Monika Jain



Air Tickets Car Rental Cruises Golf Vacation Romantic Getaways Vacation Packages Honeymoon
Click Here 
 
  





















No comments:

Post a Comment